Monday, April 12, 2010

Spring Break Is Over

In recent years, Spring break has become very different from when I was a kid.  We just looked forward to a week off school.  It was the very unusual and lucky child who traveled.  College kids planned trips, usually to Florida,  if they could afford them.  Here in Eaton Rapids, it is almost a ritual.  


I listened as each kid talked about where they were going and found many high school students were going on their own.  Parents had booked cruises, extensive vacations and I began to wonder about the supposed "economic crunch" that is reported daily in the media.  Where does this money come from?


If you listen closely, you realize that it is an Income Tax "return" thing.  Tax checks arrive and vacations begin.  All I can think of is how my dear son in law, Paul would cringe at the thought of people allowing the government to do their "saving" for their vacation.  It makes me chuckle.  


I sat and read the postings on Facebook for about 6 weeks prior, as the kids counted down the days and looked at the photos they posted.  Everyone arrived home safe and sound and it is back to the daily grind.  I spent my week happily home with Michael and Catie for company.  Easter dinner was a real treat as we all headed to the local Chinese Buffet.  No cooking for me and the kids loved it.


Mike and I enjoyed a couple of days of going out for breakfast.  You see, we are a perfect match.  Breakfast may be at noon or 1pm and that is an early start to our day.  We really have to start doing it about 12 hours later, as in 1AM.  We would both be raring to go!


Joe and Joey headed for Kansas, complete with the large black Lab that Joey has bonded with.  "Molly" had a spot in the backseat of the Trailblazer, but preferred to ride with her face next to Joe's and paws on his shoulders.  Andy and Christina headed out to Virginia for a week in the mountains. I loved hearing about how they had to go out to a main road for cell phone reception and survived the week without internet.  They came back a bit tanned and looking rested and happy.


Spring break is just what is says....a break from the routine and we enjoyed ours.



No comments: