Sunday, June 22, 2008

Three Years Is a LONG Time





OK...today is the day that Cat, Paul and Tate leave for London. Yesterday she warned me not to get sad. Sure, Cat...no problem! I was instructed to pretend it was just like the days when she went off to college, off to the Air Force or off on a vacation.

She forgot one minor detail. During all of those times, she was just hours away if I really felt that maternal need to hug my kid. This time we have an ocean to cross. Oh, and by the way.....our daily telephone contact is just a tad bit more expensive. I am already finguring out which things to cut form the budget in order to afford that addiction.

I lay here in the night last night thinking about just how long 3 years is. Hmmm, 3 years ago Andy was a 13 year old kid just getting out of Jr High, Mike was a Sophomore and Catie was a 10 year old fourth grader. Tate wasn't born yet and I felt a helluva lot younger. Three years is a long time!

How much will life change in 3 years? Andy will be graduated from high school and hopefully in his second year of college. Mike will have graduated, I hope! Catie will be a Jr in high school and driving. Oh, my......Joe will be 60 years old!

Tate will be a 6 year old first grader and maybe have a brother or sister? Yep, 3 years is a damned long time. I will swallow the lump in my throat all day today and carry on, hoping that I get the guts to board a plane for a very long flight and see London some day. Otherwise, 3 years will seem like eternity.

No comments: